Butterfly Love

      

Butterfly Love


Munching my way 

Along the spine of a leaf

Not a care in the world 

‘Till in disbelief


I spied something moving

On the limb right below

In no noticeable hurry

In fact moving quite slow 


Do my eyes deceive me?

Straight from the Gods

A heavenly lepidoptera

An angelic anthropoid


On foliage she nibbled

And sang a sweet tune 

Her body would ripple 

And my heart would swoon


I was enraptured 

For I’d never seen 

So shapely a thorax

So lovely a green


I listened real closely 

To the words of her song

How one day real soon

She would transform


One day I’ll shall soar

My new awakening

I’ll float on the breeze

On Gossamer wings


Free from the cocoon

Each day I’ll rejoice

No longer earthbound

With the mate of my choice


When she finished her ditty

I knew then and now

I must be the one 

She chooses somehow


So I spun some silk

And wrapped it around 

The leaf I was on 

And then lowered down


she saw me descending

And gasped in surprise 

“I had no idea

Caterpillars could fly”


“fair lady Don’t worry”

“I mean you no harm”

“I’ll win you over 

with my wit and charm”


“Then nestle beside me 

And we shall both see”

“If I’m meant for you

And you’re meant for me”


I liked her directness

And asked what’s her name

She said, “Mine’s Beth Ann

Now you do the same”


So I responded

With an oxymoron

“To be deceptively honest

It’s just plain old John”


“Don’t be so foolish”

“You should be so proud”

“I’d share your last name 

If we took a vow”


I couldn’t believe it

I said, “that’d be nice”

“I’ll be your husband 

If you’ll be my wife”


“Then we’d better hurry”

“I’ll be molting soon

And make a chrysalis

Before the full moon”


“Since I am a silk moth

I’ll spin a cocoon”

“That we can both share 

On our honeymoon”


So I got to work

For my future bride 

And soon it was finished 

And we crawled inside


Snuggled together

Two bugs in a rug

We nestled and Nuzzled

a caterpillar hug


We finally emerged

Midst the springtime perfume

Glad to be free

And have elbow room


The fields and the forests

Were all in full bloom

A moth and his monarch

the bride with her groom


Now we spend our days 

In the skies up above 

And flitter and flutter

In Butterfly Love


John snelling

12:25:23



Comments

Popular Posts