10,000 More Days



10,000 more days


The liturgy of love 

Can be a sordid tale

Of romance and heartbreak 

Mere words surely pale


Yet poets have penned 

Prose that transcend

The desires of the flesh

Beyond eternities end


Of forlorn Romeos

And their Juliets

Of Bonnies and Clydes 

And their suicide pacts


For ages upon ages

Wisemen have wondered 

As scribes captured thoughts 

They so seriously pondered 


Of the qualities of love

It’s joys and it’s mysteries 

Each nuanced passion 

Throughout all of history 


So diligently personifying

How love lives and breaths

A being immortal 

Omnipotent and all-seeing


But I’m not a wiseman

My wit has its limits

I simply know love 

By the hours and minutes


Of time spent together

No longer bereft

With a longing for more

A tenderness expressed


So I make this request 

For this I do pray 

Father Time please grant me

10,000 more days


10,000 more chances

To hold you for hours

10,000 more glances

As you step from the shower


10,000 more touches

In my arms may you linger

10,000 more sparks

From the fire in your fingers


10,000 more long nights

Sweet mornings to treasure

10,000 more memories

Of love shared together


10,000 more sunrises

Of coffee and kisses

10,000 more sunsets

Of wine and warm wishes


So my love do not leave me

Stay one day at a time

Until 10,000 moonbeams

From you blue eyes do shine


And  I will be close

To 100 years old

Four score and seventeen 

As our story unfolds


And in the end

When I’m wizened and grey

My soul will rest easy

For my tombstone will say


His last wish was granted

He smiles from his grave

For his love stayed beside him

10,000 more days


John snelling

08:11:21

Comments

Popular Posts