The Snelling Table




The 
Snelling table

1. May your fare be bountiful and your hearts and glasses always be full. 


2. May the key you carry be kindness and the heart it opens be sweet. 


3. May your friends always be close and your loved ones even closer. 


4. May your life be long and your grief be brief.     


5. May your days be soft and your laughter loud. 


6. May you ponder not your mortality but live each day like your last. 


7. May you always be honest with others and forever truthful with yourself. 


8. May you mortar only the bricks of good character and discard the non virtuous ones. 


9. May your pride and your humility always be at peace with one another. 


10. May your dreams become your reality and your reality become your dreams.

John Snelling

04:30:19

#49

I commissioned this table and had it initially built in 2016. A local furniture builder I knew personally made it for me. I’d had the concept for a while though I wasn’t exactly sure what shape it was going to be. 

The way my kitchen was designed I had some room as it opened up to the designated dinning area. So I envisioned a sweeping curvature to the island (table). 

I got some large appliance boxes from a local retailer and the furniture maker met me at my home. We taped some flattened boxes together and laid them out on the floor. Then I literally drew it out by freehand. 

I’m not sure when I came up with the concept to engrave “toasts” around the circumference. But the thickness of the wood spoke to having something done to it  plus I wanted to personalize the table. Give it a Soul! 


There was some drama involved in the instillation of this piece. The 1st attempt at the epoxy coating flopped. Fortunately Todd sanded it all back down and we re-did it. Then the damn thing broke in half when we were moving it. He fixed that too. It has steel rods reenforcing it now. 

Comments

  1. I will always make sure this table has a place in my home. When you are pushing up flowers this will be holding some up! ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts