Love’s Endless Sea



Love’s endless sea


I found a love 

On a whim and a chance

A tap on the shoulder 

Would you care to dance?


I never dreamed 

I’d be swept off my feet

My head is still spinning 

For I thought I would lead


But she took the reigns

The bit and the whip

She’s in the saddle

And I dance to her jig


And I’m gladly pulling 

This buggy of lust

For fate brought her to me

So fate I will trust


With sweet attributes 

And a mired of traits 

And a few idiosyncrasies 

That soon sealed her fate


For she has a story

And it has a start

I’ll tell you about her 

How she stole my heart 


So sit back and listen 

How this story began

In upstate New York

Where she learned how to swim


Swim teams and college

Gave way to a spouse 

A career and two children 

And a move to the South


A mother, a sister 

A daughter and wife 

Carrying the load

Exhausted each night 


The girl worked so hard 

Applying her degree

D and R by her name 

She’s Ivy League 


Pharmacist she is

A well respected trade

But it had its pitfalls 

A price she has paid 


For pushing those pills 

Took it’s sweet toll

Corporate demands 

Stealing her soul


She remembers escaping

The rigors and stress

Through hours online 

Electronic chess


As love’s dirty dishes 

Piled high every night 

The stains dried and hardened 

With no end in sight 


That’s when her life 

Took a shot on the chin

She still blames herself

To her chagrin 


For she’d decided 

To try something new

Photo safaris 

Begat two rendezvous 


And a secret she kept

With her virtual friend

Filling a void

With a camera and lens 


For something was missing

Gone with the wind

Not to return

No need to pretend


That rapscallion piper

Will always be paid 

His price was a marriage

For the song that he played 


But out on her own

She bought a new bike

Gonna be a Triathlete

A race in her sights 


She stumbled upon

A wetsuit and a smile 

Raising money for puppies

By swimming 6 miles


“This guy is nuts”

“Crazy as can be”

Little did she know

That nut was me


A donation was made

300 smack-a-roos 

Supposedly anonymous

But I found out who


So I sent a thank you

An email no less

For I’d seen her profile

And had her address 


It’s been a long time

Since that email was sent

But each year that goes by

She’s more content 


And though she still stresses 

About so many things

Why the microwave beeps

Why her iPhone won’t ping


From the color of blinds

To the height of her grass 

The fact that the subcontractor 

Won’t call her back


Those things all fade

Each night of the week

When I pet her so gently 

‘Till she falls asleep 


What remains is her charms

And her sweet loving ways

And gone is the heartache

For love’s here to stay


The rest of this story 

Is mere history 

Now that we swim together 

On love’s endless sea 


John snelling 

09:10:20

Comments

Popular Posts