TURTLE LOVE

                       

TURTLE LOVE 

If I were a turtle
I’d pack up my shell
And embark on a pursuit 
For a turtle Mademoiselle

I’ll set out on my quirky quest 
At a pace that’s Lickity Split
But at my turtle speed 
It won’t be too quick

It might take a long time
For I’m just a turtle y’know 
And with my stubby turtle legs
I’ll be moving real slow

So ... there’s no need to hurry
There’s need to rush
Big red letters on my shell that read
 “Girlfriend or Bust”

All of my bachelor buddies
Bid me farewell and adieu
“Watch out for those pesky nets!”
“Or you’ll end up turtle stew”

My goal was quite a simple one 
That somewhere in these waters
I would find my turtle bride 
And take her to the Alter

So with a swish of my turtle tail
I slide into the stream
To find the pretty turtle that’s been 
Haunting my turtle dreams 

I swam countless rivers
Through lakes and through marsh
Crossing busy highways 
Trying not to be squashed 

The dangers they were many
The days turned into weeks
As I plod along so slowly
And swim up one last creek

My letters had long faded
No longer crimson red
I’d all but lost hope
When suddenly up ahead

Entangled in a ball of twine
From a fisherman’s pole
Was the prettiest little turtle
These eyes will ever behold 

Her face was so determined 
In spite of her precarious plight
Her blue eyes still sparkled 
As she put up the fiercest fight

I swam up from behind her
And pulled on every line
Little by little by little 
It began to finally unwind

I told her, “Don’t worry Dear”
As I bit the tenacious string 
Not really sure at all 
If she’d heard me say anything 

The stubborn filament at last 
Gave up its gripping ghost 
But she darted off so quickly  
Too where? I don’t know? 

The water was too murky 
She’d probably gone real deep
Scared from being so entrapped
Glad to be set free

Seven long days spent searching
Every twist and every bend
Hoping just to find her
Bring my journey to an end

Each night I would sit and gaze
Up at the stars and moon
And wonder if she was somewhere 
Gazing at them too

I couldn’t stop my mind from thinking
How far and wide I’d swum
Or of what might have been
Of just how close I’d come

Slowly I turned towards my home
To begin the end of my long trip
I rounded a large sandbar
And suddenly stopped ...... mid-flip

There on a rock in the bright sunshine
Like a garden figurine 
Sat the most beautiful turtle  
My eyes had ever seen 

From the twist of her tail 
To the curve of her snout 
A picture of perfection
That left little doubt

I forgot to kick my limbs
For I’d stopped so quick 
So under the water
I started to slip

I flailed like a hatchling’s
First time in the drink
Spitting and choking 
And starting to sink

She looked in my direction
At all the splashing sounds
Who was this strange turtle?
That was fixing to drown

She jumped in and pushed 
Until I slowly started to swim
Together we both made it
To an overhanging limb

Still gasping and still wheezing 
And feeling perplexed and addled
I squeaked, “What happened?”
“Did I forget how to paddle?”

The look in her eyes 
When she heard me speak 
Let me know she recognized my voice 
When I’d saved her just last week

“It was you!”
“When I was snared”
“I’m sorry I ran”
“I was just so scared”

Her arms went around me
(Well ... not quite)
“My hero!”, she whispered
“I won’t run away tonight”

We spent the eve talking 
Well.... (not all of the time)
She told me of her history 
And I told her all of mine

She said she lived on the French Broad
But from Cayuta Creek she hailed
Her children were all grown and gone
Before her marriage derailed

I told her of my sojourn 
How I’d looked for her forever 
How finally fate had intervened 
And brought us here together 

The paint is long gone from my shell
Replaced with love and laughter
If I wrote the letters again they’d say  
“Happily Ever After”

For now every day’s a sunny day
As we bask on our favorite log
And each night together we retire
To make some Turtle Love

John Snelling
07:21:19

#54





Comments

Popular Posts